My-India

Message Board Home Tree View Login Search Latest Messages Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Email-Us

Prejudice & Cast System

My-India.Net: India Forum: India Society & Culture: Prejudice & Cast System

By David on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 06:33 am: Edit Post

As a white Englishman living in Scotland, I understand too well the evil of prejudice, whether it be based on colour of skin, religion, or indeed any difference between people. Therefore, can anyone please explain why the cast system prevails amongst Indian people?
Thanks

By james brighton on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 01:45 pm: Edit Post

Why are Indians and India so obsessed with caste. on a recent visit i was disgusted to see the way "dark skinned" are looked down upon. the funny thing is that to foreigners like me all Indians are the same colour

By geerish on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 01:52 pm: Edit Post

The British promoted and fortified it to place themselves on top of the heap.Just as the white Americans did to the negroes and the Kaburus of South Africa to the blacks in that country.

Most illogical and shameful of the Indians to look down upon the dark skinned since Shree Krishna was shyam--i.e. dark skinned

By om on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 01:55 pm: Edit Post

I was educated in the western tradition along with Arya Samaj teachings and have lived in the west for over thirty years. There are some deep misunderstandings of what cast was and continues to be.Indian intelligentia often blames cast for all Indian problems, without addressing the reality that most developing countries have similar problems and they do not have the cast tradition. Our lack of infra structure, lack of oppertunity for the youth, lack of education,employment,medical, facilities are not due to the cast system but due to the 1300 years of struggle to keep our body and soul together. We are not poor and deprived because we have cast, but because we were ed dry by 150 years of colonial rule. For those who have a kneejerk reaction to cast please keep in mind that India produced over 40% of the worlds GDP till 18th century. We were the richest nation inspite of the cast. All Europian powers were fighting and salivating to trade with us. This does not excuse or is a defense of the practice of untouchability. The untouchability within the cast was being addressed by our sages very effectively. In my openion people,s attitude, belief and convictions are the source of social issues and are changed thru education and rarely reslved thru legislation. In India there is entirely too much trash talk against the cast wars. However I have not found any movement to this day to protect the high cast priveledge,and I am unaware of any legislation in the indian historical context which awarded or institutionalized high cast priveledge. Is there any scholar out there who believes that Manusmriti was adopted by the Moguls or the British. It is truly ironic that a system which provided stabilty, protection, and development for millions and for hundreds if not thousands of years has been relegated to the dust bin of history without any impirical research. I live in the most powerful democracy and have witnessed its citizens falling in line to give up their mos
rized fundamental rights after one 9/11. Indians have lived thru thousand years of 9/11. How much of our problem is due to having not caring rulers vs result of cast system. I believe it may be a worth while investigation.

By Tom on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 02:07 pm: Edit Post

Why do so many Indians put people down when they are not technically skilled or analytical? I have seen many Indian young people get depressed and suicidal because of the arrogance they face from other Indians. Anyways it takes more than JUST a technical degree to survive in the U.S. You need good interpersonal and communication skills too, for example.

By Leonor on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 06:17 pm: Edit Post

Does the caste system affect the use of Indian language? Or, do people from different castes speak differently?

Is the usage of the language between the Brahmin and the non- Brahmin totally different? Or the differences only occur in “lexicon”(vocabulary)? How about the grammatical structure?

"The Brahmin word for "milk" in the Kannada language is "haalu", while non-Brahmin dialects say "aalu"
Can anyone provide more examples like this?

Is there any barriers of communicating between the Brahmin and the non- Brahmin? If so, how do they overcome the language barriers?

Does this system still operate strictly nowadays?
Is there anything you want to clarify about the prejudice of the castes?

Thank you for answer these questions patiently!!

By tamilian on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 06:13 am: Edit Post

Tamilian:
. . . let me ask you a few questions.
1.What do you call a religion which has made 90% of Indians to be slaves to the 10% of the population for the last 4000 years?
2.Why have millions of Indians who could have been inventors,mechanics,artists,poets,painters,philosphers have their dreams shattered and relegated to cleaning toilets and taking out trash because their religion told them that their 'karma' wad cleaning their superiors toilet waste?
3.what would you call a religion that made Indian society so weak by discarding low castes to be servants only that any passing army from Iran,Syria,Central Asia,Mongolia,Arabia or Britain could conquer India with a minimal army? All the
british wanted to do was buy was a few peppers.Instead, in a few years, they were able to conquer the whole country with a few thousand soldiers.
4.The Bible says a 'pure and undefiled religion' is taking care of their 'widows and orphans'.Hinduism had a shameful background of throwing away widows to the scrap heaps of Vrindavan to beg.Any temple in India has hundreds of orphans and widows begging in wretched conditions.
5.What would you call a religion which is so narrow minded which says that Salvation or 'Nirvana' is only possible when you are reborn as a high caste brahmin?
Posted by Tamilian | July 15, 2007 6:34 PM

By Vaidic Yog on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 05:14 am: Edit Post

Its pitty that people having no correct knowledge are commenting on Cast system.
1. what do you say about cast system within so called Low Cast. Why that exist?
2. its not true that 'All upper cast' had ruled on 'all lower cast people' for the last 4000 years. There are so many kings from so called low cast and they ruled for many years. Read indian history first and than comment on the last 4000 years.
3. Its true that few bad elements in indian history took advantage of and misuded cast system and Karma theory, but tell me if some bad elements used one thing badly, we shout criticised and remove those elements or that system. I think we should avoid throwing baby out with bath water.
4.Its funny that you mentioned few good words from Bible and compared that with practice of few bad elements in Hindu society. There are so many good words in Hindu scripture. Why didnt you compare scripture to scripture and history to history.
5. Kabir, Balmiki and many others who are well respected in hindu society and were from so called low cast.
6. And last but not least, you just want to highlight few bad practices of some society and laugh or want to be a part of solution?

By Anonymous on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 01:20 am: Edit Post

I was born Hindu by Accident, unfortunately.It is the sickkest relegion, a cult, perverted, no human value.It should be banned by civilised socieyies.The preachers are the sickkest, exploting the maases of Illeterate. poor, and Worthless educated.
Still, cast oriented Upper cast wanted to continue the cult.
HINDUISM, never meant for human service, it is an upper cast sick minded BRAHMINS, who created 10000, dam gods, gods with stones, snakes, animals, anything to make 1 billion stupids to control.
Time to abolish Hiduism, a worst cult, creates human misery, and encourages sadism, and perverted brain wash.
I am so luccky, iwas educated with wetern beleives, thank god , iam not a hindu now.

By Anonymous on Sunday, August 09, 2009 - 05:20 am: Edit Post

The books and stories that contain the stories of war,battle bloodshed between family just for the sake of land only.
And the books that contain again battle with a power full wise ruler for the sake of once personal matter /honour and later keeping honour aside persecuting a woman abandoning her for the cause that her borne chilren are not from her husband but from the kidnapper.
how can such story books can give the message of religion,kindness,Ahinsa,peace,love and tolerance??????

By Anonymous on Sunday, August 09, 2009 - 04:59 am: Edit Post

The very and only problem of India lies in the word "CASTE" virus, The one and only Invention of the invadors they gave to this country & introduced to the world

The Invadours Who are ruling our country today

These Invadors had noway but to encroach and press the inhabitants and make it their own homeland & they succeeded.
Who are these people ? What's their origin? Their sect , background or History? Why are/were they called NOMADS?

Infact these people have no remarkable history, or any civilization or healthy background. As In Early periods in the lands of Iran, Syria , Central Asia, Mongolia , Arabia or Britain There were wars among and the rulers or warriors like mangoles or any who conquer the lands and areas of these countries (vice-versa)they grabed the whole LAND,RIEGN,MONEY,CATTLE,AND AFCOURSE WOMEN OF THAT COUNTRY.

THESE WOMEN WERE THEIR ASSETS WHOM THEY (THE WINNER ARMY) USED FOR THEIR PLEASURE AND AS SUCH A RESULT OF THIS PRACTICE THE ILICIT DELIVERED CHILDREN BY THESE WOMEN WHO HAD NO IDENTITY OF THEIR FATHER WERE GROWNUP IN THOSE AREAS IN HUGE WITHOUT HAVING ANY LEGITIMATE PARENTAL IDENTITIY, BACKGROUND, ANY HOME OR ANY PLACE TO LIVE , ANY NATION OR COUNTRY.THEY DEVELOPED IN GROUPS AND FOR THEIR THEIR LIVLIHOOD THEY HAD TO WONDER HERE AND THERE.
THESE ARE THE FACTS BEHIND THE ORIGIN OF A LARGE GROUP OF THESE NOMADES ,THE INVADORS TODAYS RULERS OF OUR COUNTRY

Who later invaded our country coming from these areas of Central Asia,Mangolia,Middle east, Iran and so on..

Thats the whole story of their History.

Now in this country to make it their homeland and ruleover and enjoy here , these homeless and identityless people had nowayout but to practice all their sly and cunning tricks

Press,Kill- people physically as well as psychologically, mentally, and mak them Flock. Then use as per their wishes.

which You can see well prevailing today here in the form of the one word the Cast,

The one and only root cause of all the Problems of India which this world can see .
This problem is tangible but in fact look for the intangible problem,the hidden tangible viruses,verms who are spreaded in our pure ,rich homeland and spoiled it.
Today is the need of a powerfull antivirus to crush and clean these viruses and verms.
Thus make our country once again pure and rich of culture and regain its past Glory. viruses,verms who are spreaded in our pure ,rich homeland and spoiled it.

Today is the need of a powerfull antivirus to crush and clean these viruses and verms.

Thus make our country once again pure and rich of culture and regain its past glory.

By Anonymous on Sunday, August 09, 2009 - 05:09 am: Edit Post

Today if anyone call us (we the indiginouse people of this country) " Hindu" I feel this as abuse to us.
It make me feel filthy if someone call me Hindu
But fortunatly I m not borne Hindu infact.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Menu:

My-India.Net | My-Kerala.Com | My-Tamil.Com | My-Kannada.Com | My-Telugu.Com | My-Gujarat.Com | My-Maharashtra.Com | My-Uttarpradesh.Com | My-WestBengal.Com | My-Mobilephone.Com
Search | Webmasters | Advertise | About Us | e-mail Us | Take Us! | Refer Us | Site Map

© My-India.Net