My-India

Message Board Home Tree View Login Search Latest Messages Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Email-Us

Sari and Choli

My-India.Net: India Forum: India Society & Culture: Sari and Choli

By Sumit on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 01:33 pm: Edit Post

What is common between Zenat Aman in Satyam Shivam Sundaram and Mandakini in Ram Teri Ganga Maili? Yes these actresses have worn a sari without a choli, something that took to male fantasy in pre-liberation India. More recently it was the first lady of Indian cricket, Mandira Bedi, in the live telecast of the world cup in Sony MAX who had worn a sari without choli twice and both time India won handsomely. This had become such a national zeal that many wondered why the heck Mandira was wearing a choli on final. What happened to India is a different story all together. Ever since Aishwarya Rai and Raima Sen have been dressed in sari without choli in the acclaimed Choker Bali, such a dress has become a rage in party circles. Any party you attend you would find someone in a sari sans choli.Is our society is going back in time or have we shunned the Raj morality for good now?

Society like time only moves forward. The changes in society depend on the collective thinking of the individuals forming the society. It is not possible to judge whether changes in society is for good or for bad, this can only be judged by history.

1991 not only brought economic liberalization but also social liberalization to India. With growing popularity of Cable Television and Internet, India too has become a part of the global village. This means Indians can now identify with western sensibility too. This is not only reflected in Movies and Music Videos but also in the people's dress code. Western dresses are no more restricted to Metro Cities and a little skin show is now being considered trendy. Therefore it seems wearing a sari without a choli is just a fashion statement, a way to express one's feminism.

This once again ilrates the escapism of young Indians. How long this would continue not only depends on the society's acceptance but also on the availability of!
alternative creative ways by which youth can overcome fantasies.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Menu:

My-India.Net | My-Kerala.Com | My-Tamil.Com | My-Kannada.Com | My-Telugu.Com | My-Gujarat.Com | My-Maharashtra.Com | My-Uttarpradesh.Com | My-WestBengal.Com | My-Mobilephone.Com
Search | Webmasters | Advertise | About Us | e-mail Us | Take Us! | Refer Us | Site Map

© My-India.Net