My-India

Message Board Home Tree View Login Search Latest Messages Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Email-Us

India what a wonderous place

My-India.Net: India Forum: India Travel and Tourism: India what a wonderous place

By Mark on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 07:40 am: Edit Post

India what a wonderous place

Hi,I was in India for a research assignment for the agency I work for , and when I arrived there in New Delhi I noticed a funny looking locking mechanism-- At first I noticed it at the airport. Then when we got to the hotel I saw it again. I was a bit tired at the time so I rested the next day I asked my guide what is that thing with the bolts and the sliding handle? he told me thats called a "Kundi"(koon-dee).
I told him thats the first time in my life I've never seen such a thing because in The United States we dont have any of those. He said, "Oh really How do they lock their doors"? , I told him many ways door knobs/Levers for example. Another thing I noticed in India was tower bolts "chitkini" as the natives call them. Any way I took a picture of one of them.There are two parts to the lock: there is the bolt that slides to the left and fits into a hole in the left doorframe, and then there is the padlock that holds it in place so you can't slide the bolt back. "Hmm, that's different," I thought when I first saw it. "I wonder why they chose to do it that way?" In my evaluation, there is no good reason to make locks like this for doors! The first issue is security. When I'm in my room, my door is obviously unlocked on the outside. Thus, anyone walking by could slide the bolt across, or if they were even more malicious, put their own padlock on my door! How would I be able to get out of my room? I've looked over the edge of my balcony, and looks like a long way down...So are there any advantages to this system? Perhaps these locks are cheaper, but I can't think of any other reason to use them. When I pointed out my lock concerns to someone here, he said, "people here trust each other enough that they don't worry about things like that". I guess that as a computer science person, that isn't a good enough answer for me. I have a question for the reader of this article many any hindi speaker tell me the english translation of Kundi? Funny isn't it when I was in India I never asked the english translation of Kundi?
-Mark

By Kumar on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 10:59 pm: Edit Post

It generally means "genitals", or something of the sort. I guess the guide was just having fun! :D

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"

Menu:

My-India.Net | My-Kerala.Com | My-Tamil.Com | My-Kannada.Com | My-Telugu.Com | My-Gujarat.Com | My-Maharashtra.Com | My-Uttarpradesh.Com | My-WestBengal.Com | My-Mobilephone.Com
Search | Webmasters | Advertise | About Us | e-mail Us | Take Us! | Refer Us | Site Map

© My-India.Net