Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences (MCOPS)
My-India.Net: India Forum:
Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences (MCOPS)
By shruthi on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 11:21 am: Edit Post
Every time we use any healthcare service or any of the products among allopathic/ayurvedic/ homeopathic/unani medicines, cosmetics, soaps, toiletries, dental products, surgical dressings and equipments, perfumery, nutraceuticals, etc., we are availing the services of the pharmaceutical sector. India is witnessing rapid growth in all these industries and hence the pharmaceutical sector.
All these industries have one common key for growth and sustenance: Research and Development. Whilst many students are being prepared for pharmaceutical jobs every year, Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences (MCOPS) has taken the responsibility to groom prospective scientists in this industry. MCOPS’ mission: “EXCELLENCE IN PHARMACEUTICAL EDUCATION AND RESEARCH - MARCHING WITH THE TIMES", is well supported by continuously improving world class infrastructure, and facility for learning, practice and research.
The College has been marching with the times since 1963, when it was established as a part of Kasturba Medical College. All the quality courses offered here are approved by Pharmacy Council of India and All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE). ISO 9001-2000 certified, this college is among the top 5 Indian colleges in this field.
MCOPS provides facilities conducive to practical learning, researching and actually manufacturing. Facilities range from a Bioavailability centre, patient counseling services to medicinal plants garden (hosting 300 species of plants) and a museum for Pharmacognosy. With research facilities available in all 8 departments of Pharmacy, the institute can boast about its more than 1350 papers published in International and National journals, contributions to more than 850 International and National conferences, 8 books, 8 patents, 65 funded and completed research projects and more than 50 fellowships and awards received.
To provide a platform to showcase the research activities, MCOPS provides outlets like the quarterly research journal “PHARMAG” and ‘The Journal of Hospital Pharmacy’. The college has hosted two Indian Pharmaceutical Congress sessions and is ready third time in December 2010. The students are also actively organizing and participating in events like Pharmafest and publishing student magazine, Aurora.
While the Hospital Pharmacy of the Kasturba Hospital provide practical training to the students, MCOPS promotes research in some specialized divisions of pharmacy like ‘pharmacoeconomincs’ and ‘nanopharmaceuticals’ , by housing the state divisions of the international societies for research in these fields.
Along with the Placement cell in operation, the Industry Institute Partnership Cell (sponsored by AICTE) conducts interaction sessions where several companies visit the campus and interact with students. While 20% of BPharm students opt for a job, the rest prefer going for a masters in order to deepen their research roots. Companies like Pfizer, RPG Life sciences, Sandoz, Dr Reddys, etc. recruit the talent from campus.
Apart from the regular Production, Manufacturing, Marketing profiles, MCOPS has brought some fresh opportunities to the students’ plate. One of them is ‘Community Pharmacy’, an old concept in developed Western countries, where the pharmacist serves as a vital link between patients and healthcare products and professionals. A US based consultancy firm in collaboration with MCOPS is recruiting and training aspiring community pharmacists. Another career encouraged through a special ‘Regulatory Affairs’ course, is working with the Foods and Drugs Control Administration (FDA) of India. It is the main regulatory body governing and implementing the rules and regulations for the Drug & Pharma industry. To encourage entrepreneurship the Department of Science and Technology has sponsored a Technopreneur Promotion Programme (TePP).
With such a wide vista of opportunities at disposal at MCOPS and the excellent research and development environment, the students are stepping up the ladder of excellence. Institutes like this are much needed in India in order to match the pace of the developing economy.
Highlights of Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences:
• Ranked in the top 5 pharmacy colleges in the country. (As ranked by Outlook, The Week, CSR, Outlook and India Today)
• Research hub with over 1,350 research papers, 850 conference presentations, 8 books published, 8 patents and over 100 funded research projects.
• Merit based admissions through All India Entrance Exam held at 27 centers across India. You can choose the location, time and date of entrance exam as per your convenience. Details in www.manipal.edu
• Scholarships & Freeships worth Rs 12.23 crores to meritorious students.
• Excellent placement and opportunities with some of the best pharmaceutical companies in India and abroad. Complete support for entrepreneurs to set up their own companies.
If you have not applied already, you can do it now.
• Last Date to Apply for UG (BPharm, PharmD ): March 13, 2010
• Last Date to Apply for PG (MSc in Advanced Pharmaceutical Sciences, PharmD Post Baccalaureate, MPharm ): March 30, 2010
How to Apply?
• Fill in the application form you have already downloaded. Enclose the necessary documents along with a DD of Rs 1500 (Application fee – Rs. 500 & Entrance test fee – Rs. 1000) drawn on ‘Manipal University’ payable at Manipal or Udupi (Karnataka)
• OR Apply online at http://www.manipal.edu/Admissions/IndianAdmissions/Pages/ApplyOnline.aspx
Here you can make the payments through a credit or debit card too.
• OR The prospectus and application forms are available at select branches of SBI and post office across India. (visit http://www.manipal.edu/ADMISSIONS/INDIANADMISSIONS/BANKS/Pages/Welcome.aspx for details on branches)
• OR, Write to The Director, Admission, Manipal University, Manipal – 576104 with course and complete postal address and enclose a DD for Rs. 500/- drawn on ‘Manipal University’ payable at Manipal or Udupi (Karnataka)